Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Birds

I decided to start a new hobby of birding (a.k.a bird watching, though birding is a better term, since one listens to bird songs as well as observes birds).  Then I realized that it would be best for me to photograph the birds to help me identify them.  Thus began my recent foray into photography.  As you've no doubt surmised if you read this blog, I allow myself to photograph subjects other than birds too.  But this post is about birds.

It turns out taking good photos of birds, in the wild, is extremely difficult.  They are small, typically far away, and just when you think they've settled down in one place, they decide to fly somewhere else.  So this is proving quite the challenge.  Taking pictures of birds in flight is even harder, but I'm not even going there with today's post.

Here is the first bird picture I took:

Mall Bird

This bird was flying with a few of his friends *inside* the local mall.  What a scruffy looking thing.  A juvenile House Sparrow maybe?  No idea.


These next three birds were photographed in California.

Yellow Beak with a Red Accent



Bird Watching the Horizon



Likely Blackbird Sitting in a Tree


Local birds follow:

Female Mallard



I Proudly Wear This Leaf



Tufted Titmouse



Reflecting Swan


After getting my Olympus gear, here was my first bird photo, taken on the street.  There are several things wrong with this picture.  It is a boring crow, for one.  Not exactly a song bird.  Also, the street is in focus, but not the bird.  Oh well.

First Official Photo of Bird on Street with Olympus Gear


I took a second shot.  Now the bird is in focus, but it appears to be missing a leg.

Not Actually Missing a Leg



A Robin Poses on Some Matching Color Wood



Brewer's Blackbird In the Forest


This owl screeched every so often, helping identify its approximate location.  This is first time I have ever seen an owl in the wild.  It was 50 feet away, way above my head and in a dark area, which I've brightened up in post processing.

Barred Owl


Barred Owl - View 2




Baltimore Oriole


This chickadee photo was taken from 25 feet away with my 60mm lens. Usually I use my 75-300mm for birding, so I was happy to get any photo where the bird was identifiable at that distance. The chickadee looked mostly black to the naked eye due to the high contrast sky and lighting, but I managed to pull its truer colors from the shadows in post processing. Not a great photo, per se, but perfectly useful for identification.

Black-capped Chickadee



All photos © 2015, all rights reserved.  Contact me for licensing or to order prints.  Coming soon (hopefully): a way to order prints directly from this site.

1 comment:

  1. You've come a long way Baby! Just think how much better your pictures will be in a month...a year!

    ReplyDelete